Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Holy Smokin’ Easy Soup!

JustAwesome asked me to make a pea soup today. From frozen peas. She said it was super easy and really good. I don’t love peas, honestly. I find them too sweet. But I trust her judgement—if she said it is really good, then it is really good.

It is sooooooooo freakin’ good.

Not pretty, but smokin’!

The most challenging part is reading the recipe, which is, oddly, in paragraph form. I don’t usually type recipes, but I can’t resist here.

The quickest and best soup you can make is to cook 3 cups of frozen peas in 2 cups of vegetable stock made with a good-quality bouillon cube. When the peas are tender, purée in the food processor or blender. Add some olive oil (preferably basil-infused) and season to taste. Serve Parmesan to sprinkle over.

And that’s it. She does go on to say that you can add ham or this or that but that is basically it.

I used Whole Foods’ 365 organic petite frozen peas and Pacific veggie broth. Immersion blender. Salt. Pepper. Then, instead of basil-infused olive oil, I used a Smoked Extra Virgin Olive Oil that we just picked up this weekend. Clearly the pièce de résistance. Holy smokes!

Great with the leftover gougères that we froze!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes, now I remember it! I am going to try and empty out my freezer so will try it but not sure I will be able to find the smoked olive oil! Today I am making a red lentil soup:
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    2 handfuls of carrots, peeled and chopped
    2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
    2 sticks of celery, thinly sliced
    2 pints of vegetable stock
    4 handfuls of red lentils
    Quarter tsp of any of these that you like: tumeric, cumin, coriander (crushed seeds, fresh leaves, or ground), chilli flakes, ginger (fresh grated or ground), herbes de Provence
    Rinse lentils well then boil in water for 15-20 mins. Rinse well again.
    Fry all of the veg in olive oil then add herbs and spices. Saute for 5-10 mins before adding stock. Add cooked lentils and bring to boil. Simmer for 15-20 mins. You can decide whether to puree it or eat it as it is.

    ReplyDelete