Monday, January 11, 2010

On the Cusp

Random photo of Veggies from Italy since I have no art for this post.

Welcome to the Feral Cook. I know. Just what the world needs, another food blog. I am obsessed with food. I think about it from the moment I wake up in the morning until I go to sleep at night. Oddly, I don't cook much. Not so oddly, I am about 20 pounds overweight but doing really well with the Weight Watchers program.


Not long ago my girlfriend, JustAwesome, asked me to take on one dinner a week. This means that I figure out what we're having, even if I just order in. I'm to ask no questions, get no help making decisions. She just wants the freedom of not having to think about it. So, I've done this, taken on a night. And another. And another. It turns out that I like this. I like having her meals ready or at least prepped when she comes home. I like picking up the ingredients and figuring it all out. I like being the hero. I don't work a lot these days so I definitely have the time.


I am on the cusp of liking to cook, just as I think I am on the cusp of liking opera, which I do not presently like. I think I can be persuaded to like it, with a little push perhaps. So maybe I'll make a challenge ala Julie & Julia, but not so crazy. Maybe I'll learn to cook. And maybe I'll learn to like it. Maybe, down the line. But not today. Today I am just saying hello.


Just to add something to the mix, know that we use Urban Organic (urbanorganic.com), which is a standing weekly order of organic, but not quite local, produce (MANGOS! PINEAPPLES!), which comes in a box, delivered directly to our door. No shlepping to the local community garden for our CSA! So the personal challenge that we face each week is how to use up our veggies, without wasting any, without any going bad. Not as easy as it sounds.


This week we got the following:

BROCCOLI
COLLARDS
ACORN SQUASH
GREEN LEAF LETTUCE
ZUCCHINI
CARROTS
LIMES
RUSSET POTATOES
KIWI
MANGO
D’ANJOU PEARS
BANANAS
VALENCIA ORANGES
SPINACH
BRAEBURN APPLES

No comments:

Post a Comment